Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Where great reading all begins ....

All learning and the development of great reading and spelling skills starts with a really solid speech and language foundation. Talking, reading and playing with your child when they are little helps to lay the foundation for literacy. After all, reading is simply speech and language put on paper.

I saw a bright little five and a half year old the other day who was struggling to begin to read. When I looked at his understanding of spoken language I could see some gaps there. He was also not expressing himself like his school friends. Once these skills are stronger, he'll be off and running with his reading. One of the many great things his mum and dad were doing was reading to him every day; he absolutely loves that time with them and his books.

I'll keep you posted on how he progresses.

I'd love to hear your comments. Leave me a message, if you have a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment